C'mon In

Thoughts, remarks, links, ideas, & notes on music, film, culture, friendship, love, sex, literature, sports, women, wine--from my mind and the minds of many others. Add your own...

Monday, February 9, 2009

Grammies, circa 2009

Regarding last night's Grammies...Am I the only person in the world who doesn't quite get the Plant-Krauss collaboration? Even allowing for television's clumsy marriage to musical performance, their performance last night was uneven to begin with but was ultimately hard to hear, marred by T-Bone Burnett's nasty guitar tone and caramel-thick playing.

I guess I'm at a loss as to what this music is...no bass, a fluttering melody, Appalachian ornaments and "haunting" backwoods elements sprinkled throughout the arrangement? Are we supposed to think of our dead great-aunts in Missouri named Blanche and Gertrude? Are we supposed to get small pox while listening to it? Should we clean the well and shoot the horses? Should we hum "Shenandoah" between songs? This is T-Bone country of course, with him being the great caretaker of our musical traditions, White European immigrant branch. He's been masterful with much of it; I just don't think his Midasian touch moves me much.

It's all part of the Old Weird America Conspiracy.

I will try and warm to it, and likely will, because I love the previous work of both singers involved.

Other than that, the Grammies were enjoyable--empty-headed and hard-hearted as always, but enjoyable for its wide array of performances. Even President Obama was referred to as an "artist" in our great inclusive, participatory culture.

1 comment:

  1. No no friend, you are not the only one who doesn't get the Plant-Krauss collaboration. I have tried to listen to the record carefully and realize what's the fuzz with this release, but I still got no clue. Anyway...

    A big fan from Greece. Keep releasing music!

    ReplyDelete